Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Where do I start...this trip has been the most work, in the most extreme conditions, but yet at the same time the most fun and exciting time I have ever had working as a nurse (and many other occupations that I would never be able to do in the states). The heartache here has been more than you could fathom but the strength among the Haitians even more. I have learned so much from my experience here and it is not even half way through. As I arrived at the Port au prince airport and watched people as I went through the custom process that was set up, I thought to myself 'everyone here that I am observing probably is thinking about a lost loved one as they work'. We arrived at the Medishare tent hospital and has a brief tour. I was immediately sent to work in the PICU where I have had more experience in the first two days than I have had the last few years as a nurse. The need here is tremendous and I begin to feel overwhelmed at times but I remember that if everyone helps just one person then that makes this an entirely different world. The Haitains and volunteers that are here are amazing. We have all become support for each other in emotional times of loss and sorrow and through that have been truly blessed. Volunteering your skills and love to people is the best thing that I have ever done...AND I have learned how to be an engineer for just about anything I need with whats available...oh and also that propel doesn't have any sodium in it so don't chug it when you are working nonstop in a tent in Haiti when the ac is turned off and you are sweating constantly or else you will feel dizzy and need to get an IV by one of your fellow nurses. Ok now I need to help Derek and Ray figure out how to open the bottle of Furia Merlot with the few resources consisting of two can openers and a rubber mallet.....there are also some small pebbles on the ground. Thanks for all of your support!

-Tara Cecil @2300

1 comment:

  1. I am so proud of you Tara! If the world would only learn and do what you and your team are doing by your service, compassion and yes, even sacrifice, could you imagine? But we are responsible for our actions only. I can hardly wait to see you and Mike and hear all. If we can stay in touch this way and I know your fine, thats good for me. When coming home? I am so excited to find this blog, I feel closer to you. praying for all of you, your safety and positive impact. I love you "Da Momma"

    ReplyDelete