Friday, April 23, 2010

The Last Day

It was quite difficult getting up this morning (even though my entire body was sticky and sweaty from this humidity); this week has been the most work I have ever made it through...over 100 hours of work...and some people worked 24 hour shifts (like Mike being the only ICU nurse the first 2 days who then transitioned to a PICU nurse today when we were slammed). Today was a difficult day with an emergent peds trauma that we quickly rushed to the OR where I was trying to hang a dopamine and epi drip with no pump and only a pen and paper to do the calculation(thanks Erica! Calculators are yet another item taken for granted!) Right when I was done with the drip I heard Mike tell me that they needed a PICU nurse to start an IV on a new code so I rushed back on over (...we need PICU nurses here!) As I was leaving the OR, I saw one of our amazing doctors-Tom- trying his best to help this child as he was pulling his own blood out to give him as he was actively bleeding and we had no blood available (we only had two units that we had already used). Everyone here cares so much and has been doing everything that they can to help. It is so different here then it is in the states...if a doctor was trying to save a life by giving a child his own blood because there was nothing else available in the U.S., I'll bet that he would be sued...here the families know that everything is done to help and with a good heart. I have enjoyed working here with families that are grateful that all you can do is give them a cot right next to 15 other kids and their families crammed in a small 12'x25' portion of a large tent that is boiling hot/humid where as in the U.S. the patients/parents will complain that you only have apple and orange juice but not cranberry. I have been very honored to be a part of this as difficult as it was. I have learned not to waste anything (even if it is a buritrol that is missing a peice or is not compatible with anything....Ray can turn it in to a spaceship so "don't throw anything away!" he told me.....which by the way last night he and Derek ended up opening the wine bottle with a spinal needle into the cork and pushing air into it with a 30 cc syringe). I can't beleive it's the last day...thanks to everyone who has been a support to us. It really makes a difference here in Haiti. There are so many children that would have died from simple dehydration and yet they have a chance. And not only on the medical aspect but just the basic care to humans (love and compassion). Today a child told one of our workers "I love you and want you to be my dad" (her dad died in the earthquake)...that was heart wrenching. Anyways I am so excited for home but I know I will miss it here as soon as our flight leaves. Thanks again!

Tara-PICU RN

No comments:

Post a Comment