Thursday, May 6, 2010

Thusday May 6, 2010

Things are challenging, as usual, it just seems that living conditions are more so this time. We had our second big rainstorm last night which flooded portions of the adult tent (which still is housing adults, peds and PICU, adult ICU moved back into their spot) and of course the sleeping tent...ankle deep in the sleeping tent, but all seemed to fair pretty well. OR was back up and running last night and today. It is the second day/night with no AC, sweat city, very hot. My solution again to be able to sleep is to shower clothed, and go to sleep soaking wet and actually slept quite comfortably.The heat is still not my friend, but I am coming to terms with it, and seem to be doing and feeling better this time around. Hard to believe only two more nights. .I am again this time, as I was last time, not really wanting to leave. I have had the same patients every night and have fallen in love....with some of them. One little old man in particular. He speaks Spanish so we are able to have some good conversations.....or so I think:). I promised myself I wouldn't bring home any Haitians babies but I forgot to promise myself no little old men:) He does not have any family and he does not have a home. and it breaks my heart... I have been charge for the last two nights, because our original charge nurse crashed big time with dehydration, passing out several times, being unresponsive, very scary, She eventually did OK, but had back pain and bloody urine (kidney??) and left today to return home. Scary.Apprently she hadn't peed since the fire (two nights prior!!) ...stay hydrated, replenish electrolytes on a regular basis... is the mantra.
Lots of love to all

Connie

No comments:

Post a Comment